Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Everyday I'm shuffling.





My new friend Frank - the mutated "grasshopper". But don't call him that - just call him Frank. He's very sensitive.

----...---...----
Outfit:
Scoop Neck Tee - Nordstrom
Grey Violet Jeans - United Colours of Benetton
Rose Flats - Marshalls?
Polka Dot Scarf - gift from a friend

.----.

Yes. That is indeed an LMFAO reference. I can listen to Party Rock Anthem too.

Anyway.

I have just now finished the written portion to all of my homework for the weekend. Now, to study - study, study, study. As much as I love history, the upcoming test I have to prepare for is going to be a doosey.

That aside. How about that hurricane, East Coasters? I think I spent the majority of it when it hit around my area in my basement watching movies with the mum.

A particular new favorite that emerged - the "recent" adaptation of Thackery's Vanity Fair starring Reese Witherspoon, Jonathan Rhys Meyers (of the Tudors and Bend it Like Beckham fame), and James Purefoy.



For a movie of the 2000's - based on a book written in the early 1800's - the adaptation was fairly well done and true to the book, which is surprising - given the temptation of most film-makers today to twist every classic into a grotesque misrepresentation of the original.

That being said - Witherspoon is miscast, and gives a fairly flat performance. Her girl-next-door innocence, and cheese factor leave the viewer with a lot to be desired. If not for the decent casting of the other characters and their fine acting, the movie would be without any kind of merit.

The movie lasts over 2 hours - and if not for the beautiful cinematography, costumes and musical score - the viewer would lose interest.

The ending slightly disappoints - though I'd rather not ruin it should you like to watch the movie - because it diverges from Thackery's novel entirely and is decided by the 21st century screenwriters. The satirical nature of the novel is lost on the movie - which takes itself quite seriously and attempts to create some kind of "accurate" representation of 19th century life.

In general, though, the movie was enjoyable. It did not seem to drag on (due to the costuming, sets, and fast pace of scene changes), the dialogue was quite witty on numerous occasions, and the choice of male casting for Mr.Osborne and Rawdon Crawley makes up for the more lackluster bits. James Purefoy or Jonathan Meyers can feel free to marry me at any time - I will not abuse them like Ms. Becky Sharp. No no.

It's difficult to find decent images of the costumes in this film - mostly because searching "Vanity Fair" in Google results in various magazine covers from the periodical of the same name. For illustration purposes, this was the only halfway decent photo I could find:


If you have half the love I do for these period costumes, this is a must see movie. The sets are equally as terrific.

And whilst on my hunt for elusive costume photos I stumbled upon a deleted scene that would've included a very important story element from the original novel - needless to say, spoiler alert.

I was surprised that the scence included Robert Pattinson who, as some of us might know, plays  Reese's lover in Water for Elephants (another book adaptation film - read the book, please). He plays a much different role in the deleted scene, which only adds to the already quite laughable performance displayed in the particular clip.

So - if you're in need of a Gone With the Wind type "journey" movie, and you've already watched Australia or Jane Eyre pick up Vanity Fair and enjoy a good two hours of beautiful men and "beautiful" women in equally beautiful costumes.

---...---...---

Movie review now out of the way, I'll leave you with a link to my newest iPod addition:

"Are you still waiting?" by Hee Young

I've fallen into a love affair with mellow, feel-good music as of late. We'll see how long this lasts, right?

...

Until tomorrow~
Jenna B.


No comments:

Post a Comment